Soft skills, the new asset of organizations
Over time, soft skills or soft skills have gradually taken over academic programs, including online diplomas, due to its relevance at the time of competing in the world of work.
A few years ago, the teaching of purely technical knowledge was one of the characteristics that defined the educational system of universities. Its objective as an institution revolved around this premise and it was its reason for being.
What are soft skills?
Marcel Robles, researcher and professor at Eastern Kentucky University (United States), defines soft or social skills as the interpersonal qualities or the attributes of each person. For this reason, soft skills are not rigid skills, but rather flexible ones.
Deepa Sheti and Manisha Seth, professors at the Jaipura Institute of Management in India, complement Robles’ definition with survival, communication, emotional, leadership and negotiation skills, as well as good time and stress management.
The 10 most sought-after soft skills in the labor market
According to a survey conducted by Marcel Robles of more than 180 business executives, these are the skills most in demand in hiring processes:
- Communication: Written and oral skills. Ability to speak in public and listen to peers.
- Courtesy: Respect and good manners should be the standard of every professional.
- Flexibility: Ability to adapt to changes. See these as an opportunity for growth and progress.
- Integrity: Ethics and honesty as non-negotiable values in the daily exercise of its activity.
- Interpersonal skills: A sense of humor, patience, sociability and empathy are qualities that companies seek to achieve a good organizational climate.
- Positive attitude: Confidence and optimism are skills that can be transmitted, tacitly, within a work group.
- Professionalism: From dressing appropriately to a balanced attitude are aspects that provide added value to all professionals.
- Responsibility: Discipline, punctuality and ingenuity will always make a difference in meeting the objectives of an organization.
- Teamwork: The cooperative, affable and collaborative professional will be essential for the development of corporate projects.
- Work ethics: Fostering motivation to perform work will facilitate the achievement of the proposed organizational goals.
Knowledge in the field of action and experience will never lose validity in the labor market. However, in a particularly uncertain and changing situation such as the one we are experiencing, the preparation of professionals capable of facing challenges with a high development of soft skills before possible challenges that arise.