Students with disabilities

This is what we stand for:

  • We recognize and value you all, including those with special needs and/or disabilities.
  • We recognize your right to participate in or benefit from all the educational programs offered.
  • We’ll make reasonable accommodations to enable you to participate in the programs offered.
  • We endeavors to keep its policies and programs in compliance with appropriate federal and state laws.
  • We work to extend our educational and spiritual opportunities to you all, regardless of circumstances, and we encourage you to join with us in this effort.

What we offer to you all

These are some of the accommodations or adjustments we offer to minimize physical differences or other circumstances that may limit your ability to succeed academically:
  • Extra time on exams
  • Taking exams in a quiet location
  • Recording lectures
  • Printed lecture notes or note-takers (scribes)
  • Designated parking area
We offer various accommodations to all who qualify as a person with specific-needs. However, while we make an effort to accommodate all disabilities, certain disabilities may not be capable of a reasonable accommodation. But there’s nothing to worry about. If you’re eligible for accommodations, you’ll receive a letter from the academic advising office. This letter will describe the accommodations granted.

What we offer to you all

If you wish to be considered for a specific needs status, you must apply in writing.

To apply you must submit a fully executed Voluntary Declaration of Disability Form (see below) to the academic advising office no later than the Friday during orientation week.

All applications including all supporting documentation, must be completed accurately and truthfully. Inaccurate or fraudulent applications will result in the denial or revocation of accommodations and may subject you to further disciplinary action.

Our academic advising office is responsible for granting and managing all your accommodations. We have the legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations as defined by applicable federal and state laws.

Your information is safe with us

We respect the confidential nature of your medical information. If you have a specific-need, you’re protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Access to information provided is used by us on a need-to-know basis and for ongoing support of your accommodations.

Information provided to faculty for accommodation purposes will state only approved academic accommodations.

The legal stuff

The submitted Voluntary Declaration of Disability Form must have attached a formally documented clinical diagnosis and treatment plan provided directly to us (the university) by a qualified licensed health care professional.

The diagnosis must be given in both written form and as a diagnostic code consistent with the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual nomenclature.

The written and coded diagnoses must match. The diagnosis must establish that your condition constitutes a true disability and significantly limits your ability to succeed academically. The specific limitations must be stated clearly and specifically.

A “qualified licensed healthcare professional” shall be an MD (such as a pediatrician, family physician or neurologist), licensed clinical psychologist, pediatric neuropsychologist, or other clinical specialist licensed to practice and diagnose in the specialty field related to the applicant’s stated disability. Unlicensed persons and school psychometrics do not meet these qualifications.

All communication from the licensed health care professional must be on office letterhead and signed by the provider. Handwritten notes, copies of records, etc. must be accompanied by a provider’s cover letter that meets these requirements.

Please, you must provide written evidence of both current diagnosis and current treatment for the stated condition requiring accommodation. Current means within 18 months of enrollment. Treatment must be fully consistent with the stated diagnosis. An applicant who has a current diagnosis, but who is not participating in treatment may not be granted accommodations.

In general, an Individual Education Program (IEP) alone is not sufficient to establish a diagnosable disability. The existence of past services does not constitute a present disability. In no case will the college accept an out-of-date (more than 18 months old) diagnosis, IEP or an IEP which indicates either no clear disability or that the student’s academic needs have been resolved. It’s your responsibility to communicate these requirements to all appropriate health professionals.

You won’t be in this alone.

We’re here to answer all of your questions and be sure that you have a true understanding of what you need to apply for accommodations.
Skip to content